Last year, I probably read more books than I had in the previous ten years combined! I always thought I wasn't much of a reader, was too slow or just didn't have the time. Well, last year I didn't have more time but I decided to try to read more and to also try fiction. I had usually read non-fiction and most of the time just couldn't finish. I would feel bad if I couldn't get into a book and gave up reading it. Then I felt like I shouldn't start a new book until I finished the boring one.
I discovered I needed stories that sucked me in pretty quickly...and then I couldn't put it down. I even tried some YA.
Here's what I read: (Disclaimer: some I'd recommend and some I wouldn't.)
- The Art Forger by BA Shapiro
- The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple
- Mrs. Hemingway by Naomi Wood
- The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Show Your Work! by Austin Kleon
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
- An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
On my hopeful list for this year is the next two books in the Divergent Series (Insurgent and Allegiant), Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, The Secret History by Donna Tartt, Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham, The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure, Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin, The Vacationers by Emma Straub, It Was Me All Along by Andie Mitchell and to finish reading How to Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon and Art, Inc. by Lisa Congdon. We shall see how I do this year.
What books do you like to read? What is your favorite genre? Do you have any must read suggestions?